"Cultural intelligence is defined as the capability to function effectively across national, ethnic, and organizational cultures. And research demonstrates a leader’s CQ may easily be the single greatest difference between thriving in the 21st century world and becoming obsolete.” (www.davidlivermore.com)
Dr. Livermore explains Cultural Intelligence in the following video, located at:
Would you like to know your CQ?
Your CQ can be tested using Dr. Livermore's first academically validated assessment of cultural intelligence, an instrument which has been used in more than 30 countries. Just go to the following link: http://cq-portal.com/
Another term for CQ is diversity consciousness. Sociologist, Richard D. Bucher, explains:
"Diversity consciousness is characterized by understanding, openness, and sensitivity toward people who are "different." (Bucher & Bucher). Bucher identifies nine (9) megaskills that we need to develop in order to achieve "diversity consciousness":
1) Understanding my cultural identity - looking inward and understanding our own thoughts, biases, behaviors and cultural identity.
2) Checking cultural lenses - recognizing the ways in which cultural backgrounds differ and how they influence thinking, behavior and assumptions.
3) Global consciousness - moving across boundaries and seeing the world from multiple perspectives.
4) Shifting perspectives - putting ourselves in someone else's shoes and someone else's culture.
5) Intercultural communication - exchanging ideas and feelings and creating meanings with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
6) Managing cross-cultural conflict – the ability to deal with conflict among people from differing cultural backgrounds in an effective and constructive manner.
7) Multicultural teaming – working with others from diverse cultural backgrounds to accomplish certain tasks
8) Dealing with bias – recognizing bias in ourselves and others and dealing with it effectively
9) Understanding the dynamics of power – grasping how power and culture interrelate and the effect of power on how we see the world and relate to others.
Source: Building Cultural Intelligence: Nine Megaskills (CQ) by Richard D. Bucher and Patricia L. Bucher
Try to assess your diversity consciousness with the following sample test,SOURCE: www.BuildingCQ.com/sampleassessment.htm