Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Casita Decorated for Mexican Independence Day!

"Fiestas are our sole luxury. They are a substitute for, and perhaps have the advantage over theatre and vacations, Anglo Saxon 'weekends' and cocktail parties, bourgeois receptions and the Mediterranean café ...What is important is to go out, open up a way, get drunk on noise, people, colours. Mexico is in fiesta. And this fiesta, shot through with lightning and delirium, is the brilliant opposite of our silence and apathy, our reticence and gloom..''

Octavio Paz, The Labyrinth of Solitude

My casita is already decorated for Mexican Independence Day, which will be celebrated next week on the 15th and 16th. I live behind this joyeria, a fabulous jewelry store, Casa Katalina, and this is my second story window -- adorned with the colors of the Mexican flag and an emblem that says "Estados Unidos Mexicanos", United States of Mexico. Last week, the stores started selling decorations, Mexican flags, and red, green and white clothing.

I think the festivities have already started. This morning I woke up around 4:30 a.m. to the sound of firecrackers outside my window, a common occurrence in San Miguel. But, I'm used to all kinds of sounds. I live just a few blocks from the Parroquia and other churches with lovely bells that chime every quarter hour around the clock. I've grown to love those sounds.

Here is a youtube video of the Parroquia bells just around the corner from my casita. Enjoy!!

No comments: